Registration is now closed.
Do you have an innovative idea for space-enabled services in the maritime sector?
The European Space Agency and Spaceport Norway are inviting individuals and Micro and Small companies (50 employees or less) who are intending to participate in Ocean x Space 2018 to submit ideas for innovative space-enabled services in the Maritime sector. The proponents of the best ideas will be invited for pitching and awarded at the Ocean x Space event in Stavanger on 22-24 May 2018. There may also be the possibility to follow on their ideas under ESA Business Applications.
Need some inspiration? Check out our ESA Business Applications projects and start thinking about how your idea could become a commercial success.
Note that in addition to the 3 primary focus areas of the Ocean x Space event (maritime food, energy and transport) the submitted business ideas can target any maritime related activities such as environment, climate change, tourism, etc.
JUDGING CRITERIA AND VOTING
Your business idea will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- clarity of the problem to be tackled and of the value proposition;
- added-value of using space asset(s) for the envisaged service (e.g. Earth observation, satellite navigation, satellite communication, human space flight technologies);
- novelty in the market of the proposed idea;
- technical feasibility;
- potential to become commercial;
- maturity of the idea, which should allow service operations within 3-5 years.
The best ideas will be invited to pitch at the Ocean x Space event. The workshop attendees and the judging panel will then vote for their preferred ideas. The winners will be announced during the award night on the second day of the event
This prize includes:
- European Space Agency cash prizes:
1st prize: € 1,500
2nd prize: € 1,000
3rd prize: € 500
- Coaching in design-driven innovation by ESA Business Applications specialists and innovation experts from Eggs Design during the Ocean x Space event.
- Access to ESA Business Applications to develop the idea further and explore funding.
This competition is open to:
- Individuals, and teams of individuals, who have reached the voting age in their country of residence at the time of entry, as well as Micro and Small companies (50 employees or less).
- Submitters have to reside in one of ESA’s member states (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and Canada).
- ESA reserves the right to exclude participants in case of any conflict of interest of the proposer with the organisation of the competition.
- Short-listed candidates will be expected to participate (with free registration) at Spaceport Norway 2018 in order for their idea to be considered further.
HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION
- Download the Ocean x Space Business Idea Pitch Form.
- Complete the Pitch Form answering all the questions.
- Submit the completed Pitch Form to email@example.com with subject "2018 Ocean x Space Business Applications Competition" before 7th of May 2018.
Finalists will be notified by 9th May 2018.
In case of any questions, please contact the Ocean x Space event team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is ESA Business Applications?
ESA Business Applications offers zero-equity funding, an expansive network of partners, project management support with technical and commercial expertise, and a brand association that will be invaluable in raising future rounds of investment. We have invested over €190M in over 300 business applications projects, and our portfolio continues to grow.