This project is the Second Element of the joint ESA - EDA RPAS demonstration roadmap aimed at supporting the development of governmental/institutional & commercial services based on Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) supported by satellites and integrated into non-segregated airspace.
DeSIRE 2 objectives are to develop and demonstrate a service based on a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) flying in Beyond Radio Line of Sight (BRLOS) using space assets (SatCom, SatNav) for:
- supporting the regulatory process withinthe European context, with focus on BRLOS operations under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) using satellite communications
- providing new applications to relevant user communities This entails addressing the following perspectives:
- Regulatory perspective: demonstrate a set of capabilities (in terms of e.g. performances, operational procedures) contributing to some of the regulatory improvements set forth in the European Regulatory Roadmap, and disseminate the results to relevant regulatory and standardisation bodies.
- User perspective: develop and demonstrate the application(s) in pre-operational conditions, allowing for operational service provision shortly after the completion of the project, taking into account the planned European regulatory evolution.
- Technology perspective: demonstrate the technology required for supporting the regulatory improvements defined by the European RPAS Steering Group aswell as for satisfying user needs.
For further information please refer on EMITS