There are different ways that food and beverage fraud can be committed for instance, the ingredients can be substituted with one of a lower quality, the food label can be distorted to provide false information or the food can be counterfeited. What each have in common is that these malicious acts do not happen by chance as theybring an economic advantage to the perpetuator and cause deception to the consumer.
The prevention and detection of food fraud is not only an important ethical matter, it is an issue which impacts the global economy as well as the health of the citizens.
Key Focus Areas
- Increase supply chain transparency
- Monitor and improve food logistics
- Improve certification process
- Detection of counterfeit food products and beverages
- Improve consumer confidence and experience
- Support food safety
THE VALUE OF SPACE
Space technologies and data can play a significant part in preventing and detecting food and beverage fraud.
Satellite Earth Observation (EO):
- Provide diverse environmental data, mapping and change detection images.
- It can support the operation of law enforcement agencies; for instance, to identify food stockpiles or to detect suspicious movements of cranes and other vehicles around port or airports where there should not be.
Satellite Navigation (SatNav):
- Transport is a key element of the food supply chain several steps are included moving from upstream (production) to downstream (trade, storage. processing), before reaching the end consumer (distribution). GNSS is the key enabler for tracking food and beverages along the entire supply chain.
- Positioning information will be able to provide geo-tagging services for data collection.
Satellite Communication (SatCom):
- SATCOM enables communication when no terrestrial network is available e.g. in remote areas and at sea.
- It can also enhance communication network robustness and communication resilience by acting as a back-up when on-ground systems are down.
- SATCOM can enable data from offshore sensors (such as in container in vessels) and crowdsourced data to be transmitted.
WHAT WE OFFER
ESA Space Solutions will provide funding to successful teams looking to investigate the technical feasibility and economic viability of space-based applications in support of prevention, detection and fight of food and beverage fraud, and define a roadmap for services implementation and demonstration.
The activities will be 100% funded up to €200K per activity.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for teams that have identified an attractive market opportunity with real potential for engaging customers. Motivation, business experience and domain expertise are all important features. We want to hear about your commercially viable, technically feasible business ideas that involve either space technology or space data. For this call, companies residing in the following Member States will be eligible to apply: (AT, BE, CH, CZ, DE, DK, EE, ES, FI, FR, HU, IE, IT, LU, NL, NO, PL, PT, RO, SE).
ESA TENDER INFORMATION
Responding to an open competitive Invitation to Tender (ITT) requires the submission of a Proposal. The Proposal will be evaluated according to ESA regulations and procedures.
The consequential evaluation of proposals results in a recommendation for a winning bid. In the case that several proposals of good quality targeting different and/or complementary aspects are submitted, the Agency reserves the right to place parallel contracts for each of the open competitive ITTs in coordination with the relevant national delegations.
For the fully detailed Proposal Guide on competitive ITTs click: Open Competition.
REGISTRATION AS BIDDER
The Prime and all subcontractors must register as potential bidders via esa-star, prior to downloading the official tender documents from EMITS (under the reference number 10553) and submitting their Proposal. The registration process needs to be started as soon as possible, as it will take time to complete.
If you are looking for a partner and are interested in knowing more on this topic, please join this LinkedIn group.
- 11:00 CET, 03/11/2020 - Prevent and Detect Food and Beverage Fraud
Joined by Mr. Sabatino Gianluca from Europol <Gianluca.Sabatino@europol.europa.eu>
Joined by Mr. Pierre Viaud from SICPA <Pierre-Viaud@hotmail.fr>