In the upcoming Announcement of Opportunity, economic operators are invited to propose either a Feasibility Study or a Demonstration Project addressing the theme of:
KEY FOCUS AREAS
An Intelligent Transport System (ITS) constitutes the integration of information and communications technology with transport infrastructure, vehicles and users. By sharing information, ITS allows people to get more out of transport networks, with greater safety, efficiency, security and with less impact on the environment. With the concept of smart cities transmuting into digital societies, Intelligent Transport Systems become the indispensable component for making the life of citizens easy in every facet. In any city, mobility is a key concern; be it going to school, college or office, or for any other purpose, citizens use transport systems to travel within the city. Real-time information is a critical requirement for effective usage and operation of ITS for public transport, logistics management, road and rail operations, and management of major transport hubs.
The following scenarios have been identified as key focus areas:
- i. Sustainable and Safe Mobility Based on Advanced Traffic Management Systems
- ii. Advanced Traveler Advisory System
- iii. Advanced and Safe Public Transportation System
- iv. Advanced Rail Transport Management Systems
VALUE OF SPACE
The proposed ideas must use satellite or space-based data as well as 5G technology.
- Satellite Communication: Satellite Communication can support services such as e-Call, anti-theft, remote vehicle diagnostic, cargo tracking, railway connectivity in remote areas.
- Earth Observation: In the ITS domain, Earth Observation is crucial to provide weather information and digital maps update.
- Satellite Navigation: Satellite Navigation enables positioning and guidance to support trace, tracking and improved logistics, route optimisation, and geo-tagging of in-situ data. Satellite Navigation is crucial for ITS; traffic information, and position of the vehicles are based on GNSS data. Improved accuracy and reliability can be achieved thanks to 5G networks, leveraging on exchanges of corrections and ancillary information between receivers.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
We offer funding and support to companies, both for business case assessment and for the development of new, space-based services related to intelligent transport. Our offer includes:
- Technical & commercial guidance;
- Access to our network and partners;
- Use of the ESA brand for your service.
- Zero-equity funding as summarized in the table presented below:
|ACTIVITY||ESA PROJECT FUNDING (UP to % of ELIGIBLE COST)||ESA CO-FUNDING LIMIT|
|Feasibility Study||50%**||Max ESA price: 200 kEuro|
|Demonstration Project||50%**||Max ESA price: 1 MEuro|
** ESA will bear up to 50% of the project cost, and the remainder has to be financed by the tenderer and/or other partners through private and/or public sector direct or indirect co-financing.
- SMEs (i.e. enterprises fulfilling the criteria defined in the European Commission Recommendation of 6 May 2003 (2003/361/EC) or as updated) involved in Feasibility Studies or Demonstrations Projects, may be funded by ESA up to 80%.
WHAT WE SEEK
We are looking for teams that have identified an attractive sustainable opportunity with real potential for engaging customers. Motivation, business experience and domain expertise are all important features. We want to hear about your sustainable ideas that involve either space technology or space data. For this call, companies residing in the following Member States will be eligible to apply: AT, BE, CH, CZ, DE, DK, FI, FR, IE, IT, LU, NL, NO, PL, PT, RO, SE, UK. See also the information below on obtaining letters of support from National Delegations.
Funded participation to ESA ARTES Business Applications and Space Solutions (BASS) is open to any company and/or organisation, be it as group of users, public body or non-governmental organisation, residing in any of those states that subscribe to the ARTES BASS programme.
To date, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom have subscribed.
The applicable funding level of the individual prime- or subcontractors is subject to authorization by the involved National Delegation(s). Therefore, bidding teams are requested to obtain a Letter of Authorization from all their national delegations before submitting a Full Proposal.
- 15:00 CET, 26 October 2020