An entire afternoon of the two-day event was dedicated to ESA Space Applications. Presentations were given including Integrated Space Applications for Risk Management; Energy, water and waste management; "Space 4 Health" and the IAP Programme.
About 25 participants from the Azores, Canary and Madeira Islands attended the seminar, organised by the Regional Fund for Science and Technology of the Azores within the frame of the Transnational Cooperation Programme MAC 2007-2013 under the FEDER, and more specifically of the MaReS project (Macaronesian Research Strategy). Very active involvement was shown by all participants.
Many ideas emerged out of the discussions that showed how the area could benefit from space applications. These include;
- services to fishermen for identifying fish shoals with fish of the desired type,
- maritime surveillance, tracking of ships,
- reliable communications in an emergency situation,
- harbour management, moorings for leisure boats,
- decision-making about directing population to safe areas in case of emergency,
- better land use management, improved geodetic data,
- better detection of oil spills,
- development of transport strategies, and
- developing synergies between UAVs and satellites.
Results and possible follow up to the discussions determined that work is required at all levels including ESA, national authorities, regional authorities and private firms. An IAP Call For Ideas and creating a dedicated Ambassador Platform within IAP are considerations for the future.
For more information visit: http://www.azores.gov.pt/Portal/pt/entidades/srecc-frc/livres/spacesmallislands.htm