Objectives of the service
The objectives of the proposed project are:
- Define a pan-African eHealth platform.
- Ensure the African Ownership
- Adaptation of the solution to the real needs of the SSA
- Creating a feasible model to be implemented in the short term
Users and their needs
In this project stage, the end-users has been contacted and a in-depth survey on the field has been performed, the main typology of users are:
- National, Regional and Local government
- Medical institutions
- Medical workers and volunteers
A workshop was performed in Tanzania during the past April 2014. Also, a number of selected opportunities scenarios were presented to ESA during the Final Review by key SSA stakeholders, including the Minister of Health and Social Welfare of Tanzania.
Service/ system concept
The concept of the overall eHSA programme is to deliver an enhanced satellite eHealth platform and its associated eHealth services to the sub-Saharan region. The Interoperability study is one of 4 precursor studies to the programme that will enable its successful later implementation.
Space Added Value
In SSA some areas have poor developed ITC infrastructure, this issue applied to the new needs of telemedicine and medical services causes a longer delay in implementing models eHealth.
The interoperability that the ISAES framework would describe are closed related to the SATCOM facilities to deploy all needs in a short term.
The project began on May 2013, and all the documentation have been already delivered, including a website (www.isaes.org) where useful information about the tasks performed. The most relevant of them are:
- Task 1 – eHealth interoperability framework and service operational models
- Task 2 – eHealth Global good practice
- Task 3 – Description of eHealth and interoperability situations in SSA
- Task 4 – Reference eHealth platform model
- Task 5 – SSA eHealth implementation opportunities
- Task 6 – Consolidated eHealth platform design
- Task 7 – SSA adoption roadmap
Moreover, a Final Report and corresponding Executive Summary has been delivered with a summary of the main results of the project.