Objectives of the service
The overall objective of PREMIA is to set up and demonstrate the technical and operational potential of specific services able to support risk management and insurance activities. This will be achieved through the development of a prototype new service platform. The platform will be easily accessible through a web interface, will supply specific services based on the integration between Earth Observation (EO) data and other relevant datasets (such as meteorological and other ancillary geo-data) to provide new contents and innovative information able to optimize the risk management and insurance activities and support innovative insurance products
Users and their needs
The objective of PREMIA is the provision of operational services for agriculture risk management and insurance market, addressed to all key players in the risk management industry (from insurance local players to national authorities), through a dedicated service platform. The platform easily accessible through a web interface, will supply innovative services based on the integration among EO data and other relevant datasets. Leveraging on Copernicus data availability, the common target for all the services is to improve the assessment of indicators, maps, parameters relevant for the historical analysis and monitoring of crop status enabling the provision of pre- and post-damage services. The proposed services will increase the available information for risk estimation also in areas without historical insurance data and will allow to couple these information with already existing data not available at geographic level.
Some snapshot of the PREMIA services:
European Union with focus in Italy, France and east Europe regions such as Czech Republic and Romania.
Service/ system concept
The PREMIA demonstration project portfolio is based on two categories of services that are hosted on the dedicated and centric platform:
- Risk assessment support services:
- Historical analysis: the service provides information about the past situation over a specific area. The service is based on the processing of large data series of satellite images for the generation of images, statistics and indicators describing the past situation over the parcel and enhancing specific past situations that could have affected the correct growth of crops.
- Damage assessment support services:
- Crop monitoring: Analysis of weather conditions and spectral features during crop growth, with provision of indices for enhancing crop status of the season with the previous 5 seasons and individuate possible crop loss at an early stage.
- Extreme weather event impact extent map -Map of the extension of the extreme weather events, with identification of affected agricultural parcels or part of them.
- Crop extreme event impact evaluation - Identification of possible crop yield losses on agricultural parcel following the extreme weather event.
Space Added Value
Each Service Component is based on the provision of pure information extracted by processing data from Earth Observation satellites together with other ancillary information, avoiding the interaction of end users with images and their processing. Therefore, the approach is not based on the provision of satellite data or products, but on the provision of an information service in support to end users workflow.
The previous image is a sample of space assets for historical analysis.
Initial analysis of the technical answers to end users’ needs is under progress in parallel of business impacts definition.