The common challenge for European cities is how to enhance people mobility while at the same time reducing congestion, accidents and pollution. In fact, urban mobility accounts for 40% of all CO2 emissions of road transport and up to 70% of other pollutants from transport.
Solutions concern the creation of an efficient and integrated mobility system that allows for organising and monitoring seamless transport across different modes. A paradigm change in transportation is thus expected through "Mobility as a Service", where the service providers could offer travellers easy, flexible, reliable and environmentally sustainable everyday travel, including for example public transport, car-sharing, car leasing and road use, as well as a more efficient goods shipping and delivery possibilities.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
Kick-start Activities elaborate the business opportunity and the technical viability of new applications and services exploiting one or more space assets (e.g. Satellite Communications, Satellite Navigation, Earth Observation or Human Space Flight Technology).
This Call for Kick-start Activities is dedicated to the theme "People Mobility", which means that is open to ideas for services addressing local authorities, infrastructure/road operators, public transport operators, private drivers, insurers, pedestrian, bicyclists, fleet operators and other relevant stakeholders in this sector. Such services can cover topics as:
- Integration platform for people mobility service
- People mobility service in rural areas
- Urban logistics mobility service
- Providing optimal decision support systems for people mobility from big data analytics and optimisation
Exploitation of space-based data and technology is key for the proposed Kick-start Activity theme, with the following considerations:
- Satellite Navigation (SatNav) is essential to provide accurate geo-referenced data, to track the different types of vehicles such as cars, buses, trucks, trains, to guide to target locations, to operate traffic management systems and others. SatNav can also enable location-based services such as to geo-localise points of interest, to enable autonomous car sharing, parking and fare payment.
- Satellite Communications (satcoms) is essential to ensure global communications for any of the above data services enabled by SatNav, whenever the terrestrial communications are absent or not reliable. In case of network failures or cyber-attacks targeting terrestrial communication, satcoms may be used to increase communication network robustness and resilience.
- Earth Observation imagery can be used to provide the maps required by the traffic management, as well as evaluate the conditions on the ground, assess changes and provide key data for monitoring and forecasting the air pollution, etc. Earth Observation derived data are used to provide meteorological information such as wind speed and direction, humidity, and others that have to be taken into account into the models to improve and optimise transportation systems.
Authorisation of funding
For the Thematic Call on "People Mobility", the following ESA Member State have already made funding available:
Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and Norway.
In case you intend to submit a proposal for a Thematic Call and your company/organisation resides in another country, you are encouraged to contact the National Delegation.
This video is a recording of the webinar which was held on 20 September 2017. It is designed to guide you through the scope of work and bidding process for this Kick-start Activity. The recording includes the Q&A session at the end of the webinar.
Registered users can now download the webinar presentation from 20 September below.
Not registered on our website yet? Register here.
Kick-start Activities resulting from thematic calls are funded at 75% by the Agency for a maximum amount of €60K per contract.
Funded participation to ESA's Business Applications Kick-start Activities is open to any public organisation, commercial client worldwide or space company (be it as group of users, public body or non-governmental organisation) residing in any of the ESA Member States that are participating to the programme.
To date, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom have subscribed.
Individual ESA Member States have already made funding available for specific Thematic Calls on Kick-start Activities. For more details, please refer to the section Authorisation of Funding above.
In case you intend to submit a proposal for a Thematic Call and your company/ organisation resides in another country, you are encouraged to contact the National Delegation.