What can space do to support European citizens facing the current COVID-19 emergency?
ESA will launch on 31st March 2020 an Announcement of Opportunity (AO) inviting companies to submit their ideas for deploying and demonstrating services to respond to the emergency that Europe, and especially Italy, is facing because of the spreading of the coronavirus.
ESA and the Italian Minister for Technological Innovation and Digitization (MID) signed at the end of 2019 a Memorandum of Intent to cooperate with the objective of pursuing space based activities delivering innovation and digitalization for citizens and communities.
Since the outbreak of the virus and its tremendous impact on the life of citizens, ESA and MID have decided to focus its joint actions for supporting citizens in the current emergency. A dialogue has been conducted with several user communities and stakeholders, including the IT Ministries of Health and Education, leading to the identification of the most important application areas which belong to the healthcare and education sector.
Such application areas have been coordinated with the Italian Space Agency, which has relevant competence and expertise acquired thanks to specific national initiatives.
Companies responding to the AO are invited to propose Demonstration Projects, dedicated to the implementation and demonstration of pre-operational services, addressing the topics of Healthcare or Education.
- The high-level objectives of the AO are:
- Help the Italian citizens and professionals of the health and educational sector to deal with the challenges of the coronavirus outbreak;
- Support the development and the adoption of services in health and in education for sustain the Italian community in reacting to the coronavirus outbreak;
- Demonstrate the benefit provided by the utilization of space-assets integrated with other novel technologies in this extraordinary circumstances;
- Offer the opportunity to economic operators to deploy and demonstrate applications solutions based on space for the benefit of citizens, local authorities and enterprises.
Utilisation of at least one space asset (such as Satellite Communications, Earth Observation, Satellite Navigation, Human Spaceflight technologies and others) is mandatory.
The proposed services shall be deployed in Italy, and can additionally be demonstrated in other geographies and countries, to the benefit of user communities which are facing similar exceptional challenges.
Outline Proposals shall be submitted at the latest on 20 April 2020, 13h00 CET.
Additional information can be found here.